Crispy air fryer chickpeas are the tastiest and crunchiest snack you will find. Using the air fryer cuts the cook time down to 15 minutes, and they are so much crispier than in the oven! Vegan and gluten-free, these crispy roasted chickpeas are an awesome healthier snack.
I have always loved the concept of crispy roasted chickpeas, but I have often failed in execution. It always seems like some of them get crispy while others are still chewy. And still others are burned.
Not only that, but you have to wash and dry the chickpeas before roasting, and you have to roast them for quite awhile.
Well, enter the air fryer. GAME CHANGED. No need to dry these chickpeas, and they are ready for your snacking pleasure in 15 minutes. Yup. 15 minutes!
Reasons you’ll ♡ these air fryer chickpeas
Wondering how this recipe comes together? Watch the 1-minute video below! You can find more of my recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Don't forget to pin this recipe to save it for later!
Let's talk ingredients
For this air fryer chickpeas recipe you will need:
- chickpeas- use 1 can drained & rinsed OR cook your own Instant Pot chickpeas
- oil- I like to use avocado oil because it has a high smoke point, but extra virgin olive oil works as well
- spices- I am using an adaptation of my favorite homemade fajita seasoning. I advise against using a rub with sugar as during testing, the sugar burned
That's it! Super duper simple.
These air fryer chickpeas are a great meal prep snack. Here are some tips to help with your prep: Find my kitchen equipment in my shop!
Meal prep tips
These air fryer chickpeas are a great meal prep snack. Here are some tips to help with your prep:
Find my kitchen equipment in my shop!
Can I change the seasoning?
Absolutely! Try one of these 7 dry rub recipes, but do stay away from anything with sugar as in my experience the sugar can burn easily in the air fryer.
How long do these chickpeas last?
You can store them in the cupboard for 1 week or more! Bet they won't last that long 😉
How can I serve air fryer chickpeas?
We enjoy them as a snack but they are yummy as a salad topper, too. They would be great on this Kale Caesar salad!
More Air Fryer Recipes
This post was originally published in 2018. It has been republished in 2020 with new recipes tips + a video.
- 19 oz can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Heat air fryer to 390°F / 200°C.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas (no need to dry). Toss with olive oil and spices.
- Dump the whole batch of chickpeas in the air fryer basket. Cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking a couple of times.
- When chickpeas are cooked to your liking, remove from air fryer, taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in an open container.
© Sweet Peas & Saffron - Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.