Blondies get a make-over with chunks of apple and a cinnamon-sugar topping.
I am finally letting go of summer.
The signs of fall are all around me and it’s getting a little hard to ignore!
The changing leaves, dropping temperatures, and appearance of Halloween treats at the store seems to have finally done the trick and reprogrammed my brain.
So…I am now officially craving all things pumpkin, apple, and all those delicious spices that go along with them; cinnamon, cloves, and my fave, nutmeg.
Better late than never, right?
I have a thing for blondies. I like that they are not so rich as brownies. I like that there are so many variations on blondies…such as Raspberry Cheesecake Swirl Blondies, or Bourbon and Brown Butter Blondies.
These blondies are to die for! They have soft, sweet apples, crunch from chopped walnuts, and a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar, giving these guys the essence of fall. Also, giving my house the smells of fall. The apple-cinnamony smells lingered for hours!
As you can probably tell from the photos, these are not necessarily the dense, gooey blondies that you may be accustomed to. These are slightly more light and cakey. They are super moist, thanks to the 2 cups of diced apples, and have very soft, pillowy tops rather than a crunch or crust.
Do these things really bother you? They certainly don’t seem to bother me one bit.
I am currently in danger of single-handedly consuming the entire batch.
Cinnamon Sugar Apple Blondies
Delicious cinnamon sugar sprinkled apple blondies.
- 1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
- 1 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh if possible)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups apples (peeled, cored, cut into small pieces (~1/2 inch))
- 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pre heat oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Combine butter and brown sugar in a large bowl. Mix in egg and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until well blended. Stir in walnuts and apples.
- Scrape batter into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar topping and then cool in pan.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over the apple blondies immediately after removal from the oven.
Recipe adapted from About.com