An easy baked donut, packed with blueberries and rolled in cardamom sugar!
This week-end, Canadians were rejoicing the return of NHL hockey. I, however, was busy ignoring those overpaid babies and was up to my elbows in donuts! I finally broke in my new Wilton baked donut pan…with great success!
There is a moment in every person’s life when they realize that they are/aren’t a person who can handle a crisis. My moment came when I heated the oil too hot to deep fry some risotto croquettes and it came to the point of nearly igniting. I ran around freaking out and literally waving my hands in the air while my boyfriend calmly put on the pot lid and put the pot outside. Wow. Definitely NOT a calm person under pressure. I shudder to think what I would be like as a contestant on the Amazing Race.
Because of my post-traumatic stress and new found fear of spontaneously combusting oil, I would never dream of making donuts….until I recently realized that you can make an oil-free, healthier version which involves baking them. MUCH more up my alley!
I didn’t realize how easy baked donuts are to make. The batter for these donuts came together in a matter of minutes, and they don’t take long at all to bake. Where have these things been all my life?
I was really winging it with this recipe, but the donuts turned out great! They were light, fluffy, and mildly sweet (mostly from the cardamom-sugar topping), which is nice. I wouldn’t say this is the same texture as a Krispy Kreme donut, but I liked it just fine.
The cardamom flavor is great…kind of peppery but without the bite, which adds a really nice dimension to these donuts. The blueberry flavors weren’t as strong, but when you hit a blueberry it was very nice. I would like to try these with fresh as opposed to frozen blueberries…maybe once summer hits. Sadly I will be waiting a loooong time.
Baked Blueberry and Cardamom Donuts
A super quick and easy donut recipe that combines the sweetness of blueberries with exotic cardamom.
- 2 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 cup blueberries ((if frozen, measure the 1 cup after thawing and draining excess juice on paper towel))
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and melted butter. Mix liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in blueberries.
- Spoon mixture into a greased donut pan (2/3 of the way full). Bake 7-9 minutes until tops of donuts spring back when touched. Allow donuts to cool around 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- For topping: Melt butter and set aside. In a small bowl combine sugar and cardamom. Brush top of a donut with melted butter. Roll donut in cardamom-sugar mixture to coat the top. Repeat with the rest of the donuts.
Recipe adapted from Wilton.