This southwestern kale chickpea salad is packed with goodies (avocado, tortilla chips, corn and garlic chickpeas) and is drizzled in the most delicious Greek yogurt Caesar dressing!
It may be the rising temperatures, but I am suddenly all about the big salad. (Do you remember the ‘big salad’ episode of Seinfeld? Whenever I write ‘big salad’ I think of it!)
Why salads? It is nice not to have to turn on the oven for one thing, and chopping stuff sounds a whole lot easier to me than cooking or sautéing or roasting stuff.
So we have been living off of these big old easy salads (and there are more coming your way!!) Last month I made this Honey Lime Shrimp Taco Salad, and last week-end I rounded up my favorites from around the web. And now I’m back at it again with this Southwestern Kale Chickpea Salad.
And this salad is pretty much a kale caesar salad. With the creamiest Greek yogurt caesar dressing. And a southwestern twist in the form of avocado, tortilla strips and corn. Aaaaaand garlic chickpeas. No shortage of goodies in this salad!!!!
So I was going to use my mom’s Caesar dressing recipe but I was honestly a teeny bit freaked out by putting up a recipe with a raw egg yolk for you all, and also, SO MUCH OIL! Now I know why it tastes so good, Mom!
So I decided to come up with my own dressing, using Greek yogurt, some mayo, anchovy paste, lemon juice and garlic. You guys are going to love it, not only is it lighter than the regular Caesar dressing, it is SO easy to throw together, and no blender necessary!
One note on the garlic chickpeas. They are pan-fried until they take on a whole new delicious texture, but they are not as crispy as oven-roasted chickpeas. Even so, we absolutely loved this pan-fried version!
And guess what? This kale chickpea salad is ready in only 30 minutes…and today is 30 Minute Thursday, which means that you have a whole lotta delicious 30 minute dinner recipes coming at you! Check them all out below!
- 19 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups kale, washed and shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup tortilla strips
- Spread rinsed chickpeas out on a paper towel, blot with another paper towel gently, and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Toss chickpeas in a large bowl with flour and garlic salt to coat.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chickpeas and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are golden and slightly crispy.
- Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl until smooth.
- Place the kale in the large bowl containing the dressing. Toss to coat, then divide between four bowls.
- Top with chickpeas, parmesan cheese, corn, avocado and tortilla strips.
Calories 498 // Fat 31 g // Saturated Fat 5 g // Cholesterol 16 mg // Sodium 1302 mg // Carbohydrate 53 g // Fiber 12 g // Sugars 5 g // Protein 13 g
Products used in this recipe: