These crispy roasted chickpeas are tossed in a brown-sugar chili powder mixture for the perfect (healthy) salty-sweet snack!
Well hello, November. I didn’t even see you coming.
And of course the first thing you have in store for us? Snow. Thank-you for so clearly announcing the end of Halloween and the start of Christmas everything.
While it was kind of nice to watch the big fluffy snowflakes fall, I’m not really excited for winter. Although I am very much looking forward to being done writing my thesis. Gettingveryclose.
I am trying desperately to stay away from the Halloween candy, and I just need to have a healthy snack on hand. And these crispy roasted chickpeas fit the bill!
I absolutely love the brown-sugar chili rub that I used on this salmon and these lamb chops…brown sugar and chili powder are a strange but super delicious flavor combination that I just can’t seem to get enough of!
So I wanted to see how the rub would work on crispy roasted chickpeas…and I wasn’t disappointed.
These guys could’t be any easier to prepare, but I have a few little tips to get the crispiest chickpeas.
First of all, you want to dry them as much as possible before roasting them. So: drain the can, rinse under water, then spread out on a clean kitchen towel (got this tip from The Kitchn). Rub them down with a second towel (or paper towel), and then let them sit for about 10 minutes.
Next: roast ’em up. Give the pan a shake a few times to mix them up. I really wasn’t roasting my chickpeas long enough before…they looked done but they were still chewy. So I recommend roasting them for a total time of 45-55 minutes…you want them nice and crispy!
For this recipe, I pulled them back out of the oven after 45 minutes of roasting, then tossed them with the brown sugar/chili rub, and returned to the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
They were the perfect healthy crunchy thesis-writing snack!
I’d love to know what your favorite healthy snack is!
- 1 19 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil (divided)
- 1.5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Spread chickpeas out on a paper towel (or clean dish towel)-lined cutting board. Gently rub with another towel until mostly dried. Allow to sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Toss chickpeas in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Spread chickpeas out on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Give the pan a shake, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- At this point, mix together the brown sugar, chili powder, ground cumin, pepper, and salt in a large bowl with the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil. Toss the roasted chickpeas in the mixture.
- Return to the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes, until chickpeas are roasted through and crispy.
Calories 231 // Fat 7 g // Saturated Fat 1 g // Cholesterol 0 mg // Sodium 356 mg // Carbohydrate 34 g // Fiber 8 g // Sugars 6 g // Protein 10 g
The chickpeas are crispiest on the first day, but will keep for a day or two in a sealed container.