Easy and delicious turkey prosciutto meatballs that are inspired by saltimbocca! An easy and healthy dinner or appetizer recipe.
Is there an equivalent of Murphy’s Law that applies to hair? I think there should be.
So this week-end we had our very first professional photo session to get family photos done. I thought ‘I should get a hair cut’. My hairdresser was all booked up, so I went for a different one who had an opening. And I came home with the stupidest looking hair cut ever.
Then Ben came home from his hair appointment with a full-on buzz cut…which looks nothing like his normal look!
And then Kai came home from his hair appointment with really short ‘kid’ bangs.
So we basically look like a bunch of goofs in our family photos. You see what I mean? Bad hair cuts will happen at the worst possible time. Should we call it Hairy’s Law?
And these prosciutto meatballs with sage are inspired by saltimbocca! It’s an Italian veal dish which is wrapped with sage and prosciutto, and fried in butter/white wine. Sound good? It is.
But for these meatballs, I wanted to lighten things up. First of all, they are baked rather than fried, and secondly I used ground turkey. I tried them with ground chicken and wasn’t impressed…I find the turkey gives them a much more ‘meaty’ flavor, and retains moisture much better.
The prosciutto meatballs are mixed with a generous amount of fresh sage (my garden sage is still going strong!), some garlic and white wine, then wrapped in prosciutto and baked up. Verrry easy.
The prosciutto and sage are SUCH a great flavor combo, and I loved that they tasted much differently than your typical meatballs.
I recommend serving them over pasta, as the meat component of any dinner, or as an appetizer.
Now that I’ve added yet ANOTHER turkey meatball recipe to my archives, I’m thinking maybe I should diversify.
What is your favorite meatball recipe? I’d love to know!
- check out this EPIC post of Baked Turkey Meatballs 7 Ways
- or these Feta-Stuffed Greek Turkey Meatballs
- and these Thai Turkey Curry Meatballs come with a delicious curry sauce
- 500g/ 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 4-5 slices prosciutto, sliced into long strips
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- Stir together all ingredients except the prosciutto.
- Form 1.5 tablespoon meatballs, rolling gently with the prosciutto.
- Place the prosciutto-wrapped meatball seam down on the wire rack. Repeat with remaining turkey mixture.
- Bake the meatballs for 25 minutes, rotating pans halfway through cook time.
- Serve immediately.
Calories 76 // Fat 4 g // Saturated Fat 1 g // Cholesterol 32 mg // Sodium 176 mg // Carbohydrate 0 g // Fiber 0 g // Sugars 0 g // Protein 9 g
Makes 17 meatballs, which serves 4 people