≡ Menu

BLACKBERRY, WALNUT & BRIE SCONES

These tender, buttery scones are anything but dry, and are loaded with sweet blackberries, crunchy walnuts and creamy brie.  So easy to make, and the perfect brunch or snack!

Blackberry, Walnut & Brie Scones: sweet blackberries, crunchy walnuts and creamy brie in a tender, flaky scone. sweetpeasandsaffron.com

Have you ever visit a place and then fantasized about running away from your current life and living there?

Well that kind of happened last week.

I dreamed that Ben, Kai and I lived in this amazing place they call Vancouver Island.  Where the air smells like the ocean and blackberries grow wild.  A place where snowfall is rare and the temperatures rarely dip below zero.  I want to live there!

Then you snap back to reality and realize that you are mid-way almost done your PhD.  You have bought a house.  You have a child.  OMG did I put down roots?!  How did that happen?

Well.  For now, I am going to have to settle for blackberries.  From the store.  Not the same…but they’ll have to do.

To be perfectly fair, this is not the first time I have fantasized about moving away and starting fresh…I’m pretty sure I did it when we visited Thailand…I definitely did it when we visited Brazil…and I actually did it when I visited Australia.

I turned my vacation into a stay-cation…almost 2 years.  I went for school.  Renewed my Visa and lived/worked in Melbourne.  Traveled, traveled, traveled.  Met Ben and dragged him back to Canada…only because my Visa had expired again!

But if there is any consolation that I won’t be running away to Vancouver Island in the next year or so…it’s these scones.

I have always had the impression that scones were dry, crumbly, and all-together lacking of flavor.  Until I stumbled upon this scone recipe.

It is so simple, and so tasty!  The scones are anything but dry, with a slightly crisp outer layer, and a tender, delicious, ever-so-slightly-sweet inside.  I used this base last summer when I made my Peach & Brown Sugar Scones with White Chocolate.  Holy guacamole, those were the best scones I’d even had.

Until now!

I think…I mean, it’s really hard to say which was better without having a scone-off.

But these blackberry, walnut and brie scones are goooood.

Are you thinking: blackberries and cheese? No thanks.  But guys, it’s BRIE.  I repeat: BRIE!!

Fruit and brie go together so amazingly well, and blackberries are no exception…I threw in some walnuts for some crunch, but pretty well left the rest alone.  These flavors really didn’t need any help.

So: crunchy walnuts, sweet blackberries and creamy brie in the form of one tender, buttery and delicious scone.   YesPlease.

5.0 from 2 reviews
BLACKBERRY & BRIE SCONES
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8-10

Moist buttermilk scones packed with blackberries and melty Brie cheese.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour {250g or fluffed, spooned & leveled}
  • ⅓ cup sugar {67g}
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
  • ½ pint blackberries cut in half {approx 1 cup}
  • ¾ cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk {plus extra for brushing tops}
  • 130g brie cheese, rind removed and cut into ½ inch cubes
Instructions
  1. Put brie in the freezer for 10 or so minutes.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 450 F.
  3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  4. Cut the butter into the flour mixture, and mix with a pastry tool until butter is small and crumbly.
  5. Gently fold in the blackberries and walnuts.
  6. Add the ¾ cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk and mix until just combined {be gentle}.
  7. Pat dough into 2 or 3-inch rounds and arrange on parchment or silicone lined baking sheets. Brush tops with a little extra buttermilk.
  8. Bake for 10 minutes.
  9. While scones are baking, remove brie from freezer, cut rinds off, and cut into ½ inch pieces.
  10. Remove scones from oven and form a depression in the tops using the back of a wooden spoon. Press a few squares of brie into each depression.
  11. Return to oven and bake for 2-3 more minutes until brie is melted, and scones are lightly golden.
  12. Allow to cool a few minutes on baking sheet until transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  13. Bake
Notes
Keep an eye on the brie so it doesn't completely run off the tops of the scones. Mine was perfect after 2 minutes of baking.
Make sure to keep butter cold. Mix dough just prior to baking.

Recipe adapted from MyRecipes.com

{ 23 comments… add one }

• Natalie @ Tastes Lovely July 16, 2014, 3:42 pm

I’ve always thought it would be fun to go somewhere new and start fresh. I’m living in the same town I grew up in, and I love all the familiarity. But it would be exciting to experience life in a different place. Maybe I’ll just take a really long vacation somewhere. Love that your trip to Australia turned into 2 years!

THESE SCONES! Oh my word. Amazing! I love sweet and savory. These pictures have me craving these immediately!

• Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice July 16, 2014, 5:11 pm

My husband and I talk about moving somewhere new all the time! It’s always in the back of our minds, but we’ll see if it actually ever happens. I’m glad you dreamed up these scones though, Denise! I can’t tell enough how amazingly delicious they look! And that melted brie is just reeling me in…yum! Pinned!

• Denise July 18, 2014, 9:34 pm

Thanks, Gayle! Brie is the best, and melted brie is even better, I can tell you ;)

• Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel July 16, 2014, 6:21 pm

Oh. My goodness. These look so amazingly delicious. Melty brie is pretty much the best thing ever, and it’s even better paired with fruit. Love this idea!!

• Denise July 18, 2014, 9:35 pm

Thanks Jess! Can’t go wrong with Brie, any which way :)

• Mary Frances July 16, 2014, 8:48 pm

Any place with blackberries sounds good to me! I’ve thought about how fun that would be too … for a couple days, I would love it. But I would miss my routine :) Congrats on almost finishing your PhD!
    And seriously, these scones? Melted brie and berries were made for each other. In heaven … or the other one, because it isn’t until I’ve eaten half the batch that I realize the damage my lack of self control will do to my waistline :) Pinning these beauties!

• Denise July 18, 2014, 9:36 pm

Oh yes, they are dangerous that way! I replaced the heavy cream with buttermilk so they’re a little lighter, so there’s that…

• Arpita@ The Gastronomic Bong July 16, 2014, 9:40 pm

Denise! These scones look Gorgeous!! I love the colours so much.. brie and blackberry sounds amazing!! can’t wait to try this..

• Denise July 18, 2014, 9:37 pm

Thanks, Arpita! Blackberries are so pretty and purple after baking, just love them!

• Annie @Maebells July 17, 2014, 3:36 pm

I am totally intrigued by these! I adore blackberries, like I ate a whole package while unloading groceries the other day! ha! I am definitely trying these!
    Annie @Maebells recently posted…Bacon, Ham, and Egg Wrap with Honey Dijon SauceMy Profile

• Denise July 18, 2014, 9:38 pm

I love blackberries too, they’re just too expensive here…and they taste soooo good freshly picked…

• Cailee July 17, 2014, 6:49 pm

What?!! These look out of this world amazing!! They look so good!! Too good! I love how they are naturally purple! …after all you eat with your eyes first, right?! YUM! And I love how you made them savory sweet with the brie and berries! Great recipe!!
    Cailee recently posted…Beauty Foods!My Profile

• Denise July 18, 2014, 9:40 pm

Thanks, Cailee, I am a total sucker for savory-sweet!

• Leah | So, How's It Taste? July 17, 2014, 6:54 pm

I was the same way about scones until I finally tried them and made them myself. A great scone recipe is such the opposite of dry. I love that you added brie in this. I’m drooling over the melted brie on the top. Going to have to make these very soon!
    Leah | So, How’s It Taste? recently posted…Ranchero CornMy Profile

• Denise July 18, 2014, 10:00 pm

Thanks, Leah! After eating homemade scones I will never eat those dry crumbly ones again!

• Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) July 18, 2014, 12:11 am

These scones are seriously unreal! Pinning!
    Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) recently posted…Favorite MilkshakesMy Profile

• Thalia @ butter and brioche July 18, 2014, 1:40 am

i can just imagine how GOOD these would have tasted.. love the idea of using brie, will definitely be trying that out next time i make scones!
    Thalia @ butter and brioche recently posted…Chocolate Pots de Creme with Earl Grey Cream and Chocolate Almond BiscottiMy Profile

• Denise July 18, 2014, 10:02 pm

Yes, use brie! But don’t put it in your scones, it just absorbs into the dough. Waste of good brie.

• Medha @ Whisk & Shout July 19, 2014, 3:17 am

OMG, I’m salivating! As soon as I read the title I knew these were going to be amazing :)

• dina July 21, 2014, 12:00 am

they look amazing!

• Jessica @ Sweet Menu July 21, 2014, 10:09 pm

Good golly, look at those scones! Just love the melted brie on top – totally drooling!
    Jessica @ Sweet Menu recently posted…Strawberry Cheesecake Ice CreamMy Profile