These days, it’s pretty dangerous for me to keep any sort of baked goods in the house. They don’t last.
I am trying hard not to turn the munchkin into a little sugar addict, but between the fruit and the baked goods, it is high on my list of cravings!
Last week I had to take a gestational diabetes test. I didn’t have to fast, but before my 2pm test I was told to avoid sugar. That was The. Longest. Day. Ever. I really gained some respect for people who have to avoid sugar for health reasons.
Thankfully, everything is A-OK, and I was in the free and clear to satisfy my sweet tooth!
It has been quite awhile since I last used my donut pan…Not since February, when I made Chai Donuts with a Brown Butter Glaze, to be exact. That’s 5 months! Too long.
Lately I have been dreaming of lemony-summer treats. Like lemon meringue pie…I just love lemon meringue pie!
I was trying to imagine how I could make a lemon meringue pie version of a donut. I’m sure it’s possible…there are cupcake versions of it, with lemon curd stuffed inside the cupcake and meringue frosting on top. That sounded a little too complicated for me, and especially on a day where I wanted to get back outside…summer is not the time to be cooped up all day in the kitchen!
So instead I came up with a super simple, no frills-but-so-delicious-you’d-think-it-was-far-more-complicated donut recipe for you.
Did I mention that your house will smell like a tropical paradise thanks to the toasted coconut? Always a bonus 😉
This donut has the light, fresh flavor of lemon, thanks to the lemon zest in the donut. The glaze is sweet with a hint of coconut. Then it is topped with toasted coconut to give it another dose of coconut, and nice crunch.
They are not too heavy, not too sweet (but sweet enough to satisfy my sugar cravings), and, like most other baked goods in my house, they didn’t last!
- 2 cups cake flour
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- ⅔-1 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Pre heat oven to 425 F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick spray. Spoon batter in until approximately ⅔ full. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until donuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- To toast the coconut, spread out on a parchment-lined cookie tray and bake for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and coconut extract, adding milk by the tablespoon until the desired consistency is achieved.
- To glaze donuts, place glaze in a shallow bowl, and toasted coconut in another shallow bowl. Dip donuts into the glaze, then roll in the toasted coconut. Repeat with remaining donuts.
Lemon Donut recipe from Wilton