If you are looking for a salad worthy of bringing to a holiday feast, look no farther! This salad is so crisp and crunchy, and despite having both pears and pomegranates, it is not overly sweet. I realize we are still pretty far from Christmas, but given the colors of the salad, I couldn’t help but think this would make a great salad for a Christmas feast. Did I mention I went back for seconds…and thirds?
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped coarsley
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp finely diced shallot
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 pounds of cucumber, diced into ¾ inch cubes
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 pears, cored and diced into ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- To make vinaigrette, puree apple, vinegar and lime juice in a blender until smooth. Strain mixture through a sieve, squeezing solids to get all the liquid from them. Add shallot and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add oil until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine salad ingredients with ¾ cup of vinaigrette.
Recipe adapted (slightly) from Bon Appetit